Wednesday, December 26, 2007

"Playdate" and Other Abominations of the Parental Playbook

I never realized, when I opted to have children, that I would be handed a membership card to an incredibly competitive culture of child-rearing. Those of you who don't have kids now, or do but who haven't been online (or on the right websites) or picked up a book on parenting in the last ten years might not realize this, but it's war out there, and for those who are currently enlisted to fight in it, these are but a few of the battlefronts from which you can choose:

Breastfeeding or Formula? To Circumcise or Not to Circumcise? Spanking or No Spanking? Vaccines or No Vaccines? Electronic Toys or Old-fashioned? Cribs or Family Beds? Attachment Parenting or Babywise? Cloth diapers or Disposables? Television or No Television?

And whichever side you choose, you are fighting for the ultimate objective: The Perfect Child.

What is The Perfect Child, exactly?

That would be one who always says "please and thank you," who will grow up loving his mother and father, be the star of his or her class, go to Harvard on a scholarship, and become a respected member of whatever career he or she chooses (hopefully a doctor). In other words, a child who will validate the choices we agonized over for months and years while raising him, a child who will be the living example of everything we did right, who will be the one that will make us look down our noses at in disgust those who did differently and suffered different outcomes. "Well obviously Johnny is a little miscreant. He was formula fed!"

I can't tell you how many times I've seen examples of such arrogance in fellow parents. These are parents who treat their children like leather-bound day planners in which they write their best intentions, hopes, and dreams. These are people who raise their children not like dynamic, organic human beings, but more like high-performance vehicles. Machines, in other words. Just like a Mercedes Benz requires an oil change every 3000 miles, Johnny requires his allotment of social interaction three times a week in the form of a "playdate."

A friend of mine asked why I abhor that word. Why it makes me want to vomit every time I hear someone use it. I'll break down everything that the word "playdate" implies for me about modern parenthood and the parents who use it:

1. It is a term that brings corporate sloganeering to parenthood. We've replaced "having a beer after work" with "team-building exercise." And now "getting the kids together" has become "playdate." This is because:

2. Given the changing family dynamic with a typical household requiring two working parents, something as simple and free-form as "play" has to be "penciled in." And we had to give it a cute little name like "playdate." Because it's like a date, isn't it? It's a social scenario where parents have to meet and put their assets (in this case, their children) on display like a status symbol, against which their worth as a caregiver will be measured. If little Johnny has a meltdown, then you have failed a little bit, haven't you? Clearly this is a result of you not letting Johnny sleep in your bed. He's expressing his angst at feeling detached from his mother.

3. The use of "playdate" also implies that you wear really high-cut jeans, embroidered vests, and likely drive a mini-van with little soccer stickers on the back. It implies that whatever hotness you once had that attracted your mate to you and got you pregnant in the first place has morphed into a Stepford-like sterility that is devoid of any and all human appeal. It implies that you have become a Mombot, and that your husband will likely be banging his secretary within three years because your vagina feels cold and metallic. Like an unused sink drain. Again, that's what it implies. If you are not a high-waisted jeans wearer with a sink drain vagina and you use the word "playdate" as part of your daily parental vernacular, you are part of a special minority.

But all that aside, I have noticed a trend in parenting, not only during my tenure as one, but also in the years preceding that. At some point, we forgot about our instincts. At some point, we became convinced that whatever we once thought was right was wrong, and we turned to books written by "experts" to show us the way. At some point, we said to ourselves that we weren't good enough or smart enough to figure out on our own whether we should pick up our babies when they cried, and from that point we looked at every choice we made for them the choice between whether we were raising angels or devils.

I stepped off that particular battlefield long ago, when I realized that even the best choices can produce even the worst results, and I don't merely mean bad children. I mean parents who are douchebags.

19 comments:

  1. Wow. So much wisdom in one so young.

    Great post, Allison. (I sound like a proud father, don't I?)

    By the way, if you ever move to my neck of the woods, I want you on my school council.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Where can I find a secretary who puts out? :D

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc -- I am flattered that you said that. If someone I admire greatly (that would be you) thinks I have wisdom, then by gum, that makes my friggen life!

    Ian -- I am looking for a new job. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's people who use their kids to be cool/successful, then there's this lady who calls them "vicious dwarves" (see my blog, I didn't know how do the connect a link thing...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, when I was little and went over to my buddy Brian's house I was dating him? Holy Moly, I was one gay little kid. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I happened upon your blog via Matt-Man and I am sure glad I did! I'm not sure how could you have possibly expressed my thoughts on playdates, but you did! Fast forward a few years (my kids are now 11, 13 and 19) and you'll find that playdates have been replaced by gifted get-togethers and middle school socials. My kids have been taught to entertain themselves, limit their activities and focus on school. I am such a mean mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to read those books. Then when I got kids of my own I realized that most of it was bullcrap. Every kid is different and there is no parenting recipe you can get out of a book.

    Successful kids are taught with doses of consistency, respect and affection. The details and specifics are less important.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Allie! Matt-man said to say thanks for giving birth to Bagwine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by via Matt-Man! You've hit the nail on the head with this post! I can't tell you how many times I've been scoffed at because my kids don't own a PSP or regularly attend group functions.

    I'm so mean that I make them play outside when they're bored and *gasp* use their imaginations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for giving birth to our favorite Matt-man! :D

    I plan on returning to read this post in its entirety!

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to know who to hold accountable for MattMan...

    and I remember when I was first a Mommy having to navigate thru all the stupid stuff....great post...I'll be back...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only have one rule where my kids are concerned. If I know I was wrong I apologise. Sometimes they forgive me. Other than that I play it by ear.

    Matt Man made me come here I am glad he did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Matt -- You didn't have to tell me that for me to know you were gay. ;)

    Dana -- I think I vomited when I read "gifted get-togethers." I'm so glad you came by!! Thank you!

    Hammer -- I'm glad you appreciated it. I somehow knew you would. ;)

    Roger -- You don't need to thank me. You need to curse me for unleashing that beast onto the blogosphere. LOL

    Leighann-- Isn't parenthood fun? While my kids do have a Gameboy, they only have one and are forced to share it, and it's an older one, not the fancy Nintendo DS. I dare not share this info with the local yuppie parenting circles. LOL

    Deb -- Stop by anytime. Matt is a treasure, isn't he? He probably would have found his way here eventually... Actually... he probably wouldn't have. But I try to give him some credit on occasion. ;)

    Katherine -- The views expressed by the Matt-Man are not necessarily those of his Creator. LOL At any rate, I do take some responsibility. ;)

    Cathy -- I'm glad you stop by too! I think that parenting is definitely more intuitive than anything. It's good when people can recognize this. Gives me hope for the future generations. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post! I admit I get the heebies any time I have to participate in any parental activities. Hell back to school night leaves me feeling dazed and confused. Kinda like hanging in the back of a van with 5 bongs going, but not nearly as fun. Of course I was poorly socialized and had no playdates and drank formula. WTF do I know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh and doorknob vagina is the win. It made me spit out corn chips :P

    Can I get a side of pencil dick with that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. To answer your first question, I was in fact the perfect child. Of course, that was many years ago, and things have changed...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My parents may not have been perfect, but I turned out FABULOUS! ;) So I just follow their lead...

    I hate it when people try to make their childrens lives into the ones they never had... a whole damn generation of ungrateful doinks they are! Yup, a lot of parents out there are douchebags.

    Love your kids, spend some time with them (if I hear 'quality time' once more I'll climb the bell tower), share what you know and they'll be fine... and maybe then our world won't be such a fucked up place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, the dreaded play-date. I've been roped into this nonsense a lot because I have the perfect child (of course). ;)

    What drives me nuts is that there are so many moms who set up an extraordinary number of play-dates for their kids. There's this one kid, a friend of my daughter, who always lets slip things like "I just keep bugging my mom until I get what I want" and "I've had a play-date everyday this week." The parents are nice but they are the biggest pushovers I have ever seen. The kids rule their house and play-dates are part of the program.

    But what drives me bat-shit is the implication that if you don't have your kid's lives choreographed to the minute, you're a bad mom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just trying not to screw my daughter up.

    I'm not trying to make her perfect, but my parenting strategy is to be encouraging. That's it. If she want's to play with fingerpaints for two hours, I encourage it. If she wants to dance and dance and dance, I encourage her. I think kids just need support and encouragement. Sure, I provide moral guidance, and make her say please and thank you and teach her right and wrong, but I'll never arrange a "playdate." "Go out and play" was what we got as kids, and we just made friends with kids in the neighborhood. You can't force kids to be friends with your friends' kids. They probably hate each other.

    ReplyDelete